I live in San Francisco and am the Co-Founder of Two Bit Labs where we develop iPhone, iPad, and Android mobile apps for our clients. I love the mix of team leadership and working as a hands-on contributor. My technical passions include Objective-C, Java, Ruby, Cloud Computing, and open-source software.
I also love to sail and my wife, daughter, and I sailed out the Golden Gate in 2007 on our 38 foot Hans Christian cutter (sailboat) on a 3 year cruise. Read about it at http://sailsugata.com.
I use DreamHost for hosting small personal sites. They are a mixed bag as all shared hosting providers are but for the price and storage they can't be beat. If you choose to signup use promo code GABRITO to save $50 on your first year.
For bigger websites which require load balancing, numerous app servers, database replication, CDN, etc I use the Amazon Cloud Services.
- Backup your Gmail
- Naming your business or product, forget the domain
- Storing Git repositories in Amazon S3 for high availability
- Acceptance Testing non Ruby web applications with Cucumber
- Code readability through conciseness
- Mac OS X gem cleanup failing
- iPhone development the easy way
- Production MySQL performance tuning
- Selenium Continuous Integration Runner
- Standalone Migrations: Using Rails migrations in non Rails projects
- Agile Development
- Cloud Computing
- Continuous Integration
- Quality Assurance
- Ruby on Rails
- Search Engine Optimization
- Software Engineering
- Source Control
- Systems Administration
- WAP and WML
Monthly Archives: July 2006
We’re hiring a senior MySQL and FreeBSD systems administrator to work at GreatSchools (a 40 person company) in San Francisco. If you or someone you know is interested in working on a high traffic website (1M page views per day) … Continue reading
At GreatSchools we do around 1M real page views per day and another 250k or so for crawlers. Before content compression we were running well in excess of 10Mbit/s during peak hours and were getting hit with bursting charges on … Continue reading